Zits on Genital Area
Q: Doctor, I am having zits over my genitals. This happens on and off. What medication is required?
One commonly encounters zits or pimples on the genital area. Pimples may occur on the scrotal skin, over the penile skin or in the inner thigh region.
In females, zits occur commonly over the vaginal lips, labia (both majora and minora) and in and around the vagina.
Cause of Zits Over the Genitals
Pimples can occur anywhere on the body where there is skin and lubricating glands over it. During teenage or early adulthood, these glands are very active. This is because the reproductive hormones of the body peak up during these periods.
Overactive glands produce lot of secretions. Sometimes, the duct of any one of these glands may get blocked by a plug formed by excessive secretions, tissue debris, dead skin cells etc.
This blockage lead to the formation of a cystic swelling containing white colored sebum in it. This is an acne, also called genital zits.
Genital zits or acne are not usually painful.
Painful Zits Over Genitals
Pain or redness over a zit suggests that it has got infected. This may happen due to repeated friction in the region while walking, or because or squeezing or popping the pimple with our hands.
Managing Zits on the Genital Region
You need to take care of this pimple. no medication is required if it is not infected. Just do the following:
- Keep the area clean and dry.
- Never try to pop or squeeze the zit.
- Wear loose cotton undergarments to keep the region dry, moisture free and well aerated.
- Drink lot of water and eat healthy.
- To ease tension within the zit, try warm compress over it to soften the overlying skin. Slowly, the pimple would start draining.
- If you feel the zit on your genital is infected, apply a topical antibiotic cream over it.