UTI May Present as Fullness of Bladder
Q: I am a 24 year old girl. I had an abortion 7 months ago. Now I am not feeling well ever since. My back has a funny feeling, like burning, I don’t feel like going to the bathroom. I just feel like my bladder is full. I get nausea and chills. My face feels itchy after sex.
Get yourself checked for UTI (urinary tract infection). It may be a case of chronic urinary infection.
It is common for women to get such infections after any procedure done in the vaginal area.
UTIs are not always acute, they may be mild and chronic in presentation.
Symptoms and Signs Pointing Towards UTI
- Feeling of fullness in bladder
- Need to urinate more frequently
- Pain in urination
- Burning during urinating
- Urgency to urinate
- Smelly cloudy look of urine
- Pain in flanks
- Fever with or without chills
- Blood or pus in urine
- Chronic weight loss
If any of the above symptom is present, it is advisable to go for a checkup.
Diagnosing Urinary Infections
Urine sample is collected and sent for culture to detect the presence of any bug in it.
A course of antibiotics is required. Commonly prescribed antibiotics include trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or fluoroquinolones.
Some Home Care Tips
- It would be better to urinate just before and after sex to avoid UTI in future.
- Drink plenty of water. Cranberry juice is beneficial in such infections.
- Eat healthy and exercise to keep yourself fit.