Swelling of Inner Labia
Q: I’m a 19 year old female and last night my left inside lip was very swollen and sore. I had trouble with sleeping and was up all night trying to find a comfortable position to lay. Nothing is really comfy besides laying on my back with my knees bent and legs apart. I tried putting ice on it to stop the swelling and had a warm shower. I have now noticed that I have a few dots on my inside and outside lips and they are stinging. The lady at the chemist gave me a cream but every time I put it on, it stings to the point of me crying. I can’t wear undies and can’t sit or walk without wanting to cry and can’t sit with my legs closed. Any idea on what this could be? It’s a Saturday and I am unable to see my doctor until Monday at the earliest. It’s so sore and painful; I just cry. Any help on what to do or what this could be?
The area clearly sounds inflamed. You need a check up by a doctor to know exactly what it is.
It sounds like a focal inflammation, since only one side is affected. Are you sexually active? If yes, STD’s need to be ruled out.
Other Probable Causes
- May be some injury, as during shaving, which later got infected. The swelling could be an abscess. In such cases, the patient may feel some fever too.
- Irritation due to some newly tried tampon, soap or any other product.
- A blocked gland – The vaginal orifice is richly supplied with lubricating glands. If the duct of any such gland gets blocked, a painful swelling appears.
- Infection – bacterial or fungal infection.
- Frictional injury caused during horseback riding
Management and Self-care
Whatever the reason, the area sounds very inflamed. Keep it clean, dry, and cool. Till you visit the doctor, apply cold compresses over it to reduce pain.
You may also apply any over-the-counter vaginal antibiotic cream having ‘mild’ steroid in it.