Kicking Movements in Tummy Without Being Pregnant
Q: Hi, I am a 30 years old female. I woke up this morning with the right side of my stomach twitching. It’s very strong and feels like a baby kicking from inside. I just started my period yesterday after 7 days delay. I have taken several pregnancy tests with negative results. Please give your advice on this. This twitching started about 2 years ago and comes and goes, but this morning is the strongest it’s ever been. Thank you.
There is a term called muscle fasciculations. This means abnormal firing of muscle fibers.
A particular group of muscles may show such an abnormal firing pattern. This is quite commonly seen.
Most likely, it’s not your stomach musculature, but the abdominal muscles over your stomach region that are twitching.
There is not much to worry about. The reasons why this happens are not serious.
Causes of Muscle Twitching
- Mineral imbalance in the body, like magnesium, potassium etc. Sometimes our diet is not able to provide us the essential minerals on a daily basis. Since muscles require them for a proper functioning, their deficiency may result in twitching of few muscle groups.
- Overuse of that muscle groups. Just as after running a lot, there are chances that the calf muscles may twitch. Similarly, you might have overused your waistline muscles, as lifting weights etc.
- Stress or anxiety may give such symptoms.
- It be otherwise be gas. In such cases, you are likely to have other gastric symptoms as well.
- Relax yourself, both mentally and physically.
- Drink lots of water.
- You may start taking any over the counter multi mineral and multivitamin supplementation for some time.
- Keep observing if any other group of muscles, besides abdominal, are also showing such a behavior.
You should improve in a couple of weeks. If you feel this twitching is spreading to other muscle groups too, or there is no improvement in your twitching even after following the above steps, you may go for a check up to a neurologist.
It may be some neuron disease giving you these symptoms.