SSRIs Preferred Over Deanxit Due to Adverse Effects
Deanxit has many side effects. It has been banned in many countries including Denmark (the country where it was manufactured) and the U.S.
This drug is basically a combination of two psychoactive components. They are- flupentixol and melitracen. The second component (melitracen) is still not fully studied, so its use is debatable.
Side Effects of Deanxit (Flupentixol + Melitracen)
- It may increase the heart rate. If you have a high B.P., or any other heart problem, this can be risky.
- A dizzy feeling may be there. This is because the drug causes some orthostatic hypotension.
- Indigestion, stomach upset or vomiting sensations.
- Many have reported sleeping problems with this drug. There may be problems with initiating sleep, having disturbed dreams, restlessness are common.
- Drug affects the bone marrow and decreases the production of new blood cells.
- Dryness in mouth
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Dull headache with blurred vision
These side effects can be quite disturbing. For all these reasons, it is not one of the choicest drugs to be given.
When used, the drug is given for 6 weeks for appearance of its effects. It is prescribed in disorders with both anxiety and depressive states.
One should consider some other drug instead of Deanxit. Modern practice recommends using another class of drugs called SSRIs (Paxil, Lexapro, or Prozac) for similar disease conditions. These are safer choices. You may discuss taking them with your doctor.
In case, one is taking Deanxit due to lack of knowledge about its side effects, then at the minimum one should take the following precautions:
- Avoid alcoholic beverages during the phase of using this drug. Alcohol has effects on our brain, and may interfere adversely with the action of this medicine.
- Don’t drive a car or use any machinery if there is dizziness while taking Deanxit.
- Don’t take any other antidepressant along with this drug, without informing the doctor.
- Go for the regular medical follow-ups.