Precautions for Healthy Conception After Spontaneous Abortion
Q: Hi, I am 37 years old female. Last month I suffered a missed abortion. Can you please advice precautions, so that I can deliver a healthy baby.
It is important to first investigate the cause of abortion. After that, corrective measures need to be taken before planning the next pregnancy.
Reasons of miscarriages are different in the three trimesters of pregnancy.
Causes of Abortion During the First Trimester
Fetal chromosomal abnormalities is the commonest reason of abortion during early pregnancy. There may be genetic defects in the fetus not letting it grow beyond a certain period. Not much can be done to prevent abortions in such cases.
However, such fetal abnormalities are not repetitive. They may not occur in subsequent pregnancies.
Embryonic anomalies in the fetus.
Maternal disease like, diabetes or hypertension may be a reason for miscarriages.
Infections like chronic fevers, urinary infection or infections like TORCH group are frequently found to be responsible for such events. These can be ruled out by simple blood or urine examinations. It is advisable to get them treated before conceiving again.
Blood group incompatibilities like that of Rh antigen.
After conception, the fetal tissues depend upon the placenta for its growth. A well formed placenta with adequate supply of maternal hormones is essential for the growth of the baby. Sometimes, placental abnormalities or deficiency of pregnancy hormone (progesterone ) could cause an abortion.
In such cases, subsequent pregnancy is closely monitored. A low dose supplement of progesterone levels is given as a precaution throughout the first trimester. This supplement is usually injectable HCG, every week.
Stress in itself is a big killer and can be a cause of spontaneous abortion. To combat stress, assure a warm caring environment at least during early pregnancy.
Cause in Second Trimester
In late pregnancy, cause of abortion is usually structural. Uterine abnormalities or structural problems in the cervix need to be ruled out. For this, uterosalpingography is done. This is an investigation where a dye is inserted into the reproductive tract of the woman. The tract is then directly visualized by ultrasound to see for any structural defects.
You need to get yourself examined by a doctor to evaluate the cause of your abortion. There is nothing to worry, as most of the causes are treatable, you just need to know it.
Tips for Pregnancy After Miscarriage
- Get any underlying cause treated first, before planning the next pregnancy.
- It is advisable to wait for 3 months before conceiving again.
- From 3 months before you plan your next conception, start eating healthy. Take plenty of fruits and fresh vegetables to replenish your vitamin stores.
- Take Tablet Folic acid, 5 mg ms/day from three months prior to the next pregnancy.
- After conception, limit on your daily exercises. Take a lot of rest in initial phases.
- Avoid taking any kind of stress. Make a habit of relaxing.
- The next pregnancy needs close monitoring. A low dose progesterone supplement may be taken as a precautionary measure throughout first trimester.
- Do not miss your antenatal visits to the doctor.
Many women have given birth to healthy babies after events of miscarriages. So just relax and get yourself evaluated to prepare for the next pregnancy.