How to Stop Menopausal Symptoms With Natural Home Treatments?
Q: I am a 46 year old female who is in menopause. Do you recommend any herbal remedies for hot flashes and helping with sleep? I have tried Promensil Extra Strength and MenaSense.
Menopause is basically a hormonal change. A female body adjusts itself according to the changed hormonal status.
Symptoms of Menopause
- Night sweats
- Hot flashes
- Vaginal dryness
- Irritability or mood fluctuations
Medically speaking, the only way to alleviate these symptoms are taking hormonal supplements from outside. However, recent studies have shown that such a management is detrimental in a long term. It is better to avoid taking any external hormone or anything similar to it.
Herbal and Other Home Remedies
- There is a herb called black cohosh. This may be used in moderation. It basically regulates the blood pressure, thereby relieving hot flushes and night sweats.
- You may try deep breathing exercises and meditation (in any form). Start with short sessions in the beginning. This will slowly make you more stable, both physically and mentally.
- You may use over the counter vaginal lubricants (KY jelly) to alleviate vaginal dryness.
- Some women take paroxetine for depressive states during menopause. This may be taken on a short term basis.