Dealing With Skin Tag on Scrotum
Q: My 28 year old son told me today that he has a small lump on his scrotum. He described it as looking and feeling like a skin tag. He also said it was around the size of a grain of rice. Do you know what it might be?
– By Fitz
It may be a skin tag. Recognize it by the presence of the following characteristics-
Features of Skin Tags
- Skin colored growths hanging out from the skin of the scrotum
- Not fleshy in feel
- Painless to touch or squeeze
- Absolutely symptomless
Though skin tag can occur any where in the body, common places of occurrences are armpits and groins.
They are caused due to excessive growth of skin cells of the area. Why this happens is not known, though some health problems like obesity and diabetes are linked with it.
The growth is not cancerous. It is benign in nature.
Skin tag usually give no symptom, so they may be left as such.
However, in certain situations, one may consider its removal. They are:
- If they are at places where they may get pulled or irritated by wearing undergarments or love-making. Pulling or irritating them may cause pain and even bleeding, as skin tags are vascular.
- Some people remove it for cosmetic reasons.
Do not try to cut them or remove them at home. This may lead to infection.
Removal of Skin Tags
Surgical excision is the commonest way to remove them.
You need to go to a doctor for this. He will use a clean sterilized blade or scissor to cut it from its stalk. This excision is done under local anesthesia and complete asepsis.
Other methods include:
- Cryotherapy, where the tags are frozen off by liquid nitrogen. Laser treatment
- Electrocautery- Here, they are burnt by electric current.
If your skin tag gives you any discomfort, it is suggested that you go to a doctor and get it excised.
Signs to Watch
Also go to the doctor if the tag like thing shows any of the following sign:
- It ulcerates
- Grows in size
- Becomes painful
- Bleeds on its own
- Become attached to skin beneath it