How to Reduce Blood Pressure Without Medications?
This is because each group of antihypertensives acts to lower B.P. in a particular way. For example, diuretics excrete out excess salt and water from the body, thereby lowering the elevated blood pressure. So they need a well functioning kidney to act. Beta-blockers act on the heart to lower the high blood pressure. So heart assessment is required before prescribing them.
So when prescribing a drug for B.P., a doctor takes complete history of the patient with assessment of kidney functions, heart functions, overall health, weight, built, gender, blood levels of fatty acids and cholesterol, liver function status and so on. Without a complete picture of the illness, it is not possible to prescribe any medication.
For an understanding of the types of antihypertensive medications, read here.
However, non- pharmacological methods can surely be adopted by anyone who has high B.P. They are very effective in a long run. If sincerely followed, one can completely get rid of the need for any B.P. medication.
Non-pharmacological Ways to Lower B.P.
- Quit smoking if you are a smoker. Smoking is a proven factor in increasing B.P. Chemicals released in the blood of smokers hardens the walls of the blood vessels (arteries) making them stiff and less elastic. It also causes inflammation of the walls of the arteries, promoting plaque formation there. This process is medically called atherosclerosis. As you can understand, when vessels supplying blood get narrowed the pressure will increase.
- Limit your salt intake. Blood pressure diet is low in sodium. Avoid sprinkling extra salt over salads or fruits.
- Eat more of whole foods. These would include whole grains (grains with covers over them), example- whole wheat flour, brown rice, oats, etc. Include as much possible roughage in your diet. Roughage is the coarse part of fruits and vegetables. Eat raw fruits and vegetables to include it. This is essential for a proper functioning of our gastrointestinal tract and lowers blood pressure.
- Maintain a healthy body weight. Shed off extra weight if any.
- Alcohol increases blood pressure in more than one ways. Limit drinking to reduce B.P.
- Physical exercises are a proven method to decrease B.P. Only moderate exercises for about 30 minutes would be enough. You may exercise in a gym or include exercises in your lifestyle itself.