How to Get Rid of Excessive Phlegm in the Throat?
Q: Hello, I’m a 17 years old male. I feel that a sticky phlegm sticks to my throat. I always clear and spit it. I can’t also breathe because sometime nose feels blocked- sometimes the left, sometimes the right nostril. If I speak too much, my voice changes. I also have a lump on the right side of my neck. It is smooth to feel and it doesn’t cause any pain. Please help me. I want to know how to cure this kind of illness. Thank you.
This problem looks like having an allergic basis.
Mucus is a normal secretion produced by the body. In fact, it is very essential and is produced everywhere in the body, that is- in the respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract, reproductive tract etc.
Whenever a foreign body, say a virus or some allergen enters our nose, the body reacts back by producing leukocytes (antibodies). The mucoid secretion, which we see is a mixture of this allergen plus the antibody produced, contained in a thick sticky substance.
As the allergic or infective process gets alright, the mucoid snot also gradually go away. This is a normal process.
However, in some individual, excess of mucus is produced. Also, drainage may not be adequate. This leads to blocked sinuses and sticky throats.
Steps to clear away thick mucus
You need to clear this sticky phlegm. Following steps and a little change in diet may help you do so-
- Salt water gargling, at least thrice a day would help clearing the phlegm. You need to do them regularly for 15 days to get results.
- Drink a lot of water. A thick sticky mucous may imply that you are not sufficiently hydrated. Taking water would help in thinning of this flem.
- To open up your nostrils and sinuses, take steam inhalation. You may use vicks vaporub along with it. Do this before bedtime and when you get up. If required, repeat it in the daytime too. Try to breathe through the nose, if possible.
- Make a habit of gently blowing off your nose in the morning.
- Some food stuff aid in mucous formation. You may avoid them for some time. They are- fried stuff, refined foods, dairy food and heavy meals.
- Fresh fruits would be beneficial for you. Add prune or apple juice.
Some people try neti pots to drain their mucous. These are available in the market.